Terms and Conditions
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. BRIEF OVERVIEW: AARP’s Innovation Champion Awards (“competition”) takes place between February 15, 2017 and June 2017. The Competition will award a grand prize of $10,000 and an all expenses paid trip to DC, along with other benefits, to the winner. Finalists will also receive recognition and other benefits. More specific details are stated below.
2. ELIGIBILITY: The Competition is open globally to those who are at least 18 years old as of the date of entry with internet access, except officers, directors, and employees (and members of their household and immediate families, i.e., parents, children, spouse, siblings) of AARP (also referred to as “Sponsor”), its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising/promotion agencies, and/or their affiliates, assigns or representatives (hereinafter referred to collectively as “Sponsor & Others”), and all other persons or entities associated with the development, administration, promotion, execution of, supply to or printing of this Competition.
- Entries containing pornographic material, defamatory statements or are otherwise deemed offensive by judges are not eligible for the Competition.
- Ineligible entries may be disqualified at any time without notice.
- The Sponsor assumes all entries are original and that the entrant owns the work or has permission to enter the work. If an entrant without those rights submits an entry, the entrant may be disqualified. The Sponsor is not liable for any intellectual property infringement on the part of the entrant.
- We encourage entries from all over the world. However, only English-language submissions will be considered.
3. PRIZES: There will be one (1) Finalist in each of six (6) categories along with one (1) Grand Prize Winner (together “Winners”)
- Finalist Prizes: Each finalist will receive a phone or Skype consultation session from AARP’s Innovation Experts; Plaque; Recognition in AARP press release and social media. Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) of all prizes is $10k
- Grand Prize: Grand Prize Winner will receive the Finalist Prizes, as well as (1) $10,000; (2) an all-expenses paid trip for Grand Prize Winner and Guest to Washington DC to meet AARP senior executives; travel and lodging not to exceed $5k (3) editorial or advertising coverage in i3 Magazine. Grand Prize Winner and Guest must be available for travel on the date specified by AARP, in its sole discretion.
- Prize Limit: Individuals/entities may win more than one prize. The Winner of the Prize will receive the prize on or about June 1, 2017. Prizes are not transferable or substitutable except by Sponsor with one of equal or greater value. Sponsor is not responsible for any Prize Recipient’s inability to utilize her/his prize. All federal, state and local taxes are solely the responsibility of each Prize Recipient. Additionally, at the sole discretion of the Sponsor, disqualification, forfeiture and the selection of an alternate Winner of a Prize may result from any of the following: (a) a potential Winner’s failure, upon request, to provide Sponsor with satisfactory proof of age, identity, residency, and/or eligibility; (b) a potential Winner’s failure to accept or utilize the prize as provided herein; or (c) any other non-compliance, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, with the Official Rules.
4. HOW TO PARTICIPATE/SELECTION OF WINNER: To participate, visit http://www.aarp.org/innovationaward to fill out the form and upload supporting documentation. There is no cost to enter. Submissions should provide a technological solution to challenges facing caregivers, in these six categories: Health and Safety Awareness, Care Coordination, Transition Support, Social Well-Being, Caregiver Quality of Life, Daily Essential Activities.
Nominations close on April 15, 2017 at 11:59pm PST. Finalists will be selected on May 15, 2017, at approximately 12:00pm EST, by a panel of 5 Judges. Judges will be appointed by AARP and include in its sole discretion. Finalists will be selected from all entries received throughout the Promotion Period. Judges will then select the Grand Prize Winner from the selected Finalists, on May 22, 2017 at approximately 12:00pm EST. Judges will evaluate entrants based on the Selection Criteria outlined below. In the event of a tie, Winners will be selected based on public voting for determining winner in the event of a tie. Finalists will be notified via email in May 2017 and the Grand Prize Winner will be notified in June 2017, via email. Winners must respond via email within 15 days to claim Prize.
Winners will be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Entrants agree to the Official Rules and to the decisions of the Judges, which shall be final and binding in all respects. Award of a prize to any winner will be subject to verification of that winner’s eligibility and compliance with these Official Rules.
- Odds of Winning: The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received, and the Judge’s evaluation of said entries.
- Membership. Participant need not be an AARP member in order to enter and/or win the Competition. Being an AARP member will not increase your chance or odds of winning
5. SELECTION CRITERIA. Successful submissions will answer any or all of these questions:
- Ageless Innovation: Does the entrant deliver innovation that caters to all age groups?
- Design: Does the entrant challenge the status quo in look and feel, user interface, user experience, durability, etc?
- Benefits: How does the entrant make a difference in people’s lives?
- Technology: Does the entrant use new technology or use existing technology in a new way?
- Business model: Does the entrant have a new approach to its revenue plan?
- Safety: Does the entrant provide enhanced safety compared to competing offerings?
6. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: Sponsor & Others are not responsible for interrupted or unavailable network server or other connections; for miscommunications; failed telephone, computer or electronic transmissions; for jumbled, scrambled or misdirected entries or transmissions; for phone, electrical, network, technology or computer hardware or software or program malfunctions, failures or difficulties; or any other errors, omissions, interruptions, or deletions of any kind, whether human, mechanical or electronic; or for non-receipt of any entry regardless of the cause of it not being properly received by Sponsor. Sponsor & Others are not responsible for illegible, unintelligible, late, lost or stolen entries; for incorrect or inaccurate entry information, whether caused by Internet users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Competition; or for any technical, printing or human errors which may occur in the receipt, non-receipt or processing of any entries in the Competition. Persons found tampering with or abusing any aspect of the Competition, as solely determined by Sponsor, will be disqualified and may be subject to prosecution. Any person attempting to enter using multiple email addresses, multiple identities or any other device or artifice to enter multiple times or to interfere with the Competition will be disqualified from participation in the Competition. If, in the judgment of Sponsor, the Competition is compromised by viruses, bugs, non-authorized human intervention or other causes beyond the control of Sponsor, which or may corrupt the administration, security, fairness or proper play of the Competition, Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to modify, discontinue, suspend or terminate the Competition and proceed to select potential Winners in a manner it deems fair and reasonable.
SPONSOR & OTHERS MAKE NO WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NONINFRINGEMENT AS REGARDS ANY PRIZE OR ANY COMPONENT OF ANY PRIZE. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS OF EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES. CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS TO LEARN IF ANY OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
7. CANCELLATION: Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Competition, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures, virus, human error, tampering or any other factor impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Competition, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. In such event, Sponsor reserves the right to award the prizes from among the eligible entries or plays received up to the time of the impairment. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the or to be acting in violation of the Official Rules of this or any other promotion or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Competition may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
9. PUBLICITY RIGHTS: By accepting a prize, each Winner agrees to allow Sponsor and/or Sponsor's designees the perpetual right to use his/her entry, name, biographical information, photos, videos and/or likeness, and statements for promotion, trade, commercial, advertising and publicity purposes, at any time or times, in all media now known or hereafter discovered, worldwide, including but not limited to on the World Wide Web and Internet, without notice, review or approval and without additional compensation except where prohibited by law.
10. GOVERNING LAW: Issues concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules shall be governed by the laws of Washington, DC.
11. RELEASE: By participating, each entrant releases and agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor & Others from and against any and all costs, claims, damages, or any other injury, whether due to negligence or otherwise, to person(s) or property (including, without limitation, death or violation of any personal rights, such as violation of right of publicity/privacy, libel, or slander), due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, to participation in the Competition, or arising out of the receipt, use or misuse, or enjoyment of any Prize.